The most important pieces of legislation affecting the employment conditions and tenure security of farm workers:
- Labour Tenants Act (3 of 1996)
- Extension of Security of Tenure Act (62 of 1997)
- Labour Relations Act (66 of 1997)
- Basic Conditions of Employment Act (75 of 1997)
- Prevention of Illegal Eviction and Occupation of Land Act (19 of 1998)
- Sectoral Determination for Farmworkers of 2003 (Department of Labour)
Criminal Law (Sexual Offences and Related Matters) Amendment Act, 2007
The Act repeals the common law offence of rape and replaces it with a new expanded statutory offence of rape, applicable to all forms of sexual penetration without consent, irrespective of gender. The common law offence of indecent assault is also repealed and replaced with the new offence of sexual assault which contains an expanded definition of a wider range of acts of sexual violation without consent.
The Domestic Violence Act (116 of 1998)
The Act defines different forms of domestic violence against adults and children and says a child (or other people on behalf of the child) and adults can get a Protection Order against the abuse, through a simplified administrative procedure without incurring legal costs.